Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Over the top Birthday Parties

I love a party as much as the next girl, but what my recent experience was just over the top . One of the main reasons for my New York visit last week was to attend my youngest Niece's 1st birthday party. Jim and I usually head out east over the Memorial Day week but this year we pulled in our trip so that we could be there for the party.

My brother and SIL always have great parties for their kids. My SIL comes from a really big family and they all do this. While she would never admit it....it is all about out-doing the last party. Each party has a theme and they usually go all out. The theme for this last party was a Barnyard Party. Very cute.

My SIL made a bunch of the decorations herself. Once again all very cute, but that was not the end. I can understand the need to rent tables and chairs. With the 60+ guests of course we would need somewhere to sit. I can even understand the food bill as we all certainly enjoyed the baby back ribs, chicken, stuffed mushrooms, and Heineken. I will even give in and admit how cute the real bales of hey (purchased from a farm 20 miles away) were.....but that is my limit.

When I heard squeaking and squawking coming from near the food area I though birds were trying to get into the food. But no, that was just the sound from the baby chicks and ducklings that were purchased to enhance the barnyard theme. OK, a little over the top. Then about 1/2 way through the party I here this odd sound - clip-clop-clip-clop- coming from outside the front gate. After seeing the ducklings I should have guessed.....they hired a pony. Oh but not just one, of course with the number of kids they certainly needed two ponies. Can you believe this ponies....in urban New Jersey (just outside of Manhattan).

So long gone are the days of hamburgers, hotdogs, chips, and soda....and here are the days of baby back ribs, chicken, stuffed mushrooms, and Heineken while taking pony rides in your back yard.

After seeing this party I can't imagine what next year will bring! From now on I think I am going to stick to my regular memorial day week visit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my. horses and ducks?

did you at least get some good pix for farm layouts?

:)

Denise said...

I'm so glad my daughter's birthday is in early March. That leaves out swim parties (unless indoors) and pony rides in the backyard (too cold)!