Wednesday, December 20, 2006
Jim and I are getting ready to leave for New York on Friday. I am so excited about the trip. Of course the highlight of the trip will be seeing my nieces and nephew, but we also have a day planned in New York City. First the Radio City Music Hall show, then an NBC studio tour, a view from top-of-the-rock, and then if we have time a stop by the Morgan Museum to see a Bob Dylan Exhibit. Since none of us are brave enough to drive in the city we will take the train down and back. It's going to be a great day. To top all of that off, I am going to get real NY pizza and Italian food....something we just can't get here in CA. No matter how many people from "NY" that own resturants here in CA, there is nothing like real pizza from NY. Seriously, I think there is something in the water that make the crust taste so good.
I hope all of you have a happy holiday!!!!
Thursday, December 07, 2006
Friday, December 01, 2006
Tuesday, November 28, 2006
- Over 50% of the visits came from outside the USA.
- People from 9 different contries came to visit. A big huge hello to my UK friends, but I also had visitors from Canada, Australia, South Africa, Singapore, Sweden, Netherlands, and Spain.... that's quite a list!
- 16 people linked to me from the pencil lines blog
- 3 people found me using google search for either "Missy's Muses" or "Missy Neal" - on a side note have you ever googled your own name - it's funny what comes up.
- 8 people leaving the blog clicked out to the Pencil Lines blog
Man, I really wish I knew who was stopping by to take a look. I would love to think about having friends in all these great locations.
Well thanks to everyone who stopped by....you really made my day.
Monday, November 27, 2006
Sunday, November 26, 2006
Wednesday, November 08, 2006
Tuesday, November 07, 2006
Since DH and I moved since last election we had a new polling location. I was surprised when I got to the polls at 7:00am today and there were already 15 people ahead of us in line. It took almost 45 minutes to get our votes cast, but it was well worth it. A lot of my friends are voting absentee, but for me there is something that just feels good about standing in line to cast my vote. I am wearing my sticker today and hope you all do the same.
Saturday, October 28, 2006
Friday, October 27, 2006
Whoa, you know with the number of blogs and online galleries out there, it's easy to get used to seeing phenomenal work out there. However there are still times when my heart stops and I am just in total awe. That happened to me today....not once, but twice.
While I was doing my morning blog surfingI noticed on the ScrapGenie blog that Becks added Carole Janson as a DT member. So I just clicked on her blog link and WOWZERS. Then a few hours later I got a comment on my blog from Joanne Bain- so I followed her link back to her blog and was blown away again for the 2nd time today.
Seriously, I am just amazed by the work of these two ladies. Both are from Australia and have left me itching to get into my scraproom and try to create a 3-D layout. Check out the amazingly cool dimension they add to their art by pop dotting and folding the paper. They look so cool on-line I can't even imagine how good they look IRL.
So without further ado, I urge you to go check out the work of these two amazing artist:
I have guests in town this weekend but I sure hope that my next post will be a 3-D layout inspired by these ladies.
Thursday, October 26, 2006
There I admit it. Memory keeping is not my motivation.
Recently there have been many well know scrapbook artist taking a step back from the commercial aspect of the industry. Many of them are realizing they don’t have time for what made them get into scrapping in the first place – Memory Keeping. So many times when people get down about not being published or selected for a call their friends will rally and tell them to remember why they started scrapping in the first place – to record your memories to pass on to your children or family. These type of posts actually make me feel bad, almost guilty that Memory keeping is not what scrapbooking is all about for me but rather just a creative outlet. In some ways I feel that I am cheating the hobby.
I do love to look at my completed pages and remember the moment that is being captured, but I can get this same feeling from looking at a photo album as well. All the papers and embellishments do for me is add a creative twist to the photos. I do credit my love of scrapbooking with my desire to improve my photo taking and editing skills. I’m sure that I will be scrapping for a long time to come and hope to continue growing creatively through the process. If the result of this creative growth are scrapbook albums that get passed to the next generation it’s just an added bonus.
So there you have it…..I full confession!!!
Thursday, October 19, 2006
Wednesday, October 18, 2006
I am just so excited to see Rosie scrap. I will be setting my TiVo for sure.
Sunday, October 15, 2006
Thursday, October 12, 2006
Memory Trends seemed quite a bit slower this year, but there was plenty of great stuff to tickle my fancy. The highlight of the trip was meeting up with Natalie, Becks, and Michelle not too long into the show on Tuesday. I am still feeling quite compelled to speak with a British accent. In fact in my head I am writing this entry with perfect English diction. I learned quite a few new words and phrases that I must practice up on for our next visit. Michelle and Becks were booked with meetings so I had the extreme pleasure of walking the majority of the floor with Nat. Come to find out that Nat and I are like Yin and Yang when it comes to scrapbooking tastes. She is drawn to the contemporary lines with geometric shapes and open space on layouts. I on the other hand still love the vintage, grunge look of Cosmo and similar lines.
There was clearly a theme to this years show: Bling, Chipboard, and Clear stamps. Many companies combined the first two and had chipboard bling. Scrapworks and a few others figured out how to bake the glitter right into the chipboard when it is patterned….this keeps the glitter on the chipboard and off your hands. I can’t tell you how many times I have gone to work and found glitter in my hair or even on my face. So baked on glitter is the hot set up.
Now a few comments about the products and booths:
• Crate Paper, Crate Paper, Crate Paper……OMG, this stuff is just absolutely to die for. The Christmas line was probably my favorite of the show.
• The new BasicGrey fruitcake line was also a fantastic Christmas line and one that will certainly be finding its way to my scraproom.
• The 7 Gypsies booth had some of the most amazing projects. So grungy and yummy!!!
• The layouts and creations in so many booths were just amazing, but I have to say that some of my very favorite pages were in the MAMBI booth. Yup, the MAMBI booth. They have a bunch of new bling words and shapes that are fantastic, but it’s what their designers did with them that impressed me the most.
• Scenic Route was another super cool stop. With a new line and the coolest GOLD chipboard letter. Very very cool.
• Not to be outdone by its last releases Cosmo Cricket is out with new lines that I LOVE even more than the last lines….seriously, I didn’t that that was possible.
• Technique Tuesday (OK I am a little bias here) but OMG the stamp sets and booth layouts are so amazing. I just LOVE the fact that they feature so many layouts with such great texture and polished details…..LOVE LOVE LOVE this booth.
After writing way too much detail that would probably be way too boring for anyone to read I decided to delete that and talk about the highlights:
• My flight was right on time Monday. I meet up with Danea and Susanne at the hotel and we had a good catching up session.
• Danea had her wrist cast all blinged up, looking so cute, and got a ton of comments on it.
• Susanne was as cute as ever and looked great!!!!
• Monday night I hit the shops at Caesar’s and the Venetian before going back to the room
• Tuesday I hit the show floor early and hooked up with Natalie, Becks, and Michelle for a few minutes and walked the floor with Nat until lunchtime when we took a break to eat.
• After lunch we walked the floor a bit more before finding a seat at the QuickKutz booth where Natalie introduced me to her very cool friend Melanie.
• My feet had had enough so I walked back to the hotel and meet back up with Danea and Susanne. Susanne was not feeling too well, so Danea and I went out to dinner after walking all the way back to the show so Danea could order one of those fancy shmancy massage chairs.
• After dinner it was back to the hotel for a little relaxing and tv.
• Wed morning was breakfast with Natalie and Michelle at the Winn Buffet (enough food for the rest of the day) and back to the show.
• We walked for a bit and meet up with Becks for a little rest on the floor outside BasicGrey. A much needed break for my feet!!!
• I got a very nice surprise to run into WENDY at the prima booth. Holy cow, Wendy showed me some of the most amazing creations she made for the show. Totally amazing stuff. Prima had probably one of the biggest releases at the show. Some really great stuff coming.
• We were just about finished going up and down the aisles when I saw Suzy at the canvas concepts booth. That woman is amazing….totally uplifting and bubbly all the freakin’ time. We stayed for a few minutes and snapped a few pictures.
• I finally got a picture of Becks and I as proof that she is ‘real’ and not my imaginary friend. This gives me plausible deniability for when packages arrive and I tell DH they are samples from Becks. He will never know that Becks/ScrapGenie does not distribute Queen & Co, Heidi Swapp, or Autumn Leaves (oooohhh).
• It was about 4:00pm when I meet back up with Danea and Susanne for a little more walking and then back to the hotel to pack up my bags and head for the airport.
• Once again my flight was right on-time and smooth as silk.
So that’s my trip in a nutshell. Blogger Beta is acting up on me again….so I will be back later with pictures.
Thursday, October 05, 2006
There is no real reason for my blog neglect. Work has been work and I really haven't been doing much scrapping in the past week or so.
I need to get ready for Memory Trends. I am headed out to Vegas after work on Monday and will meet Danea and Susanne who will already be there. So that is something to look forward to. I'll be sure to take my camera and get lots of pictures.
Now I am off to go figure out how to load pictures again so I can load my recent layouts.
Tuesday, September 26, 2006
The rule is to list 5 weird things about yourself or your pets and then tag 5 friends and list them:
Gosh, I don't know that enough people read my blog to tag but I'll try: Annie, Carrie, Danea, Juls, and Hebe
Since I don't have any pets I guess my weirdness has to be all about me. Here goes:
1. I am the most picky eater on earth. I don't like any sea food at all, the only veggie I will even consider is corn, and I eat my burgers plain. The good news is that any kind of sweets or Chocolate is not a problem.
2. I have to hit the snooze button each morning twice or I am grumpy all day. I NEED that 18 minutes of grog time before I get out of bed, or I am off kilter all day.
3. I eat the same lunch every day (during the week)....and have since I was in grade school. (pressed ham sandwich, small baggie of pretzles, and an applesause cup).
4. I hate feet - especially mine. I have a giant big toe. Growing up my family called it bongo because it was so big. My shoe size is at least one size larger than I should wear just to make room for that darn toe.
5. I talk to my pictures. Most of the time I am just saying hi to my nieces and nephew that I see more in pictures than in real life. But the fact remains that I talk to the pictures.
Monday, September 25, 2006
I did get some scrapping done. Here is a layout I made just to play with my new GinX papers and pictures my mom took last weekend.
Wednesday, September 20, 2006
Monday, September 18, 2006
These are some older pictures of my nephew that my brother took. I just love his little playful smile that he has in these pictures. I am not usually one for these bright bold colors but I love this scrapworks line.
Materials: Fiber Scraps Pattern Paper, Prism Cardstock, Autumn Leaves stamps, and Lil Davis Chipboard letters. The title was cut using the Pazzles Mini.
Wednesday, September 13, 2006
Here you go:
Friday, September 08, 2006
Overall my week with my Mom was great. We spent a huge amount of time scrapbooking and shopping. We each got 5 layouts done. The highlight for her was a trip to Suzy's garage where we almost mauled the UPS man when he came in with the new bazzill mini blooms. Good times, good times.
We also did a few non-sb related activities. Including a drive up the coast, cloths shopping, and breakfast at her favorite restaurant (twice!).
This has been a very rough work week for the company I work for. There has been a lot of news press about our impending layouts. So it was actually nice to be out of the office not thinking too much about events I can not control.
Here are a couple of the layouts I did while my mom was here.:
This is me and my mom at Suzy's garage - aren't I brave for posting a picture with no make up on?
This is the new Cosmo Cricket Wanted line. Oh man do I LOVE this paper.
These are the cutest pictures of my niece on the beach. She was laughing so hard. This is one using the sassafrass lass papers and stamps.
Thursday, August 31, 2006
I just love this picture of my nephew taken last year at the pumpkin patch. This is one of the older SR lines but still one of my favorites.
The MMM winners should be announced either late next week or early the following. I am really looking forward to seeing the winners list ... mostly so I can share those layouts as well. One of them is probably my new favorite of my work. So I'm excited to share.
Can you believe I am still working on organizing my room. This turned into a much bigger project than I thought. I still have a significant amount of work left to finish. However with my mother coming in for a weeks visit I could not let her see my room in the state it was yesterday, so I quickly put everything away for now. At least I can get back to scrapping in there....but I am determined to finish up the organizational overhaul after mom goes back home.
Friday, August 25, 2006
After a visit to Wendy's last week I decided to copy what she did with combining a bunch of embellishments into a single little drawer with no packaging. So this week I have been working for several hours each night to unpackage and combine my supplies. I have been working for hours and still have so much more to go. I've already been to target 3 times for additional storage and have at least one more trip to go (and another one to the hardware store for a nuts/bolts container)
Tonight I am planning to rearrange some of the shelves in my storage cabinet's and get everything put away. I need to get working on my next magazine assignment and want to put the final touches on the layouts I did for Susanne's store. Right now my work table is under a huge pile of supplies.
So that's why I haven't posted anything new....or even scanned the other layouts that I did last weekend for the store.
The perfect scraproom.....is a never ending journey!!!
Monday, August 21, 2006
Here is the first one I did using one of the newer Center City Designs collections:
In short the weekend was just awesome. Wendy has an amazing house and a beautiful family - along with a fantastic scraproom. The crop on Saturday was great to see so many friends and meet new ones. Not to mention all the yummy food. Wow, I seriously can't wait to do that again.
So after seeing Wendy's embellishment storage I have been on a mission all night to take everything out of it's packaging and make it easy and accessable. I worked all night but haven't made much of a dent.....for sure I am going to like this system better. Thanks so much for the great ideas Wendy.
Friday, August 18, 2006
Wednesday morning the first email of the day came from Wendy pointing me to the 2peas thread where I was POTD. Woo Hoo.....it's funny how a little thing like that totally lifted me for the day.
Yesterday I came home to a couple of boxes packed with goodies, including the new Heidi Swapp stuff and the 3 bugs new lines. Very cool stuff.
Last night I finished up a Christmas assignment for Papercraft Essentials (a UK publication) and packed for my crop at Wendy's tomorrow. I am planning to make layouts for my friend Susanne's LSS, so I decided to use pictures that were already printed that I had scraped before. So even though I knew what papers lines I was using and what pictures I was using it still took me several hours to pack.
I am so excited for my trip this weekend. Seeing Wendy and her beautiful family... and of seeing so many foxies. Woo Hoo...
Tuesday, August 15, 2006
Sunday, August 13, 2006
I also attempted the 3rd layout challenge to make your own pattern paper....LOL, that turned out so ugly I can't post....but will attempt again this week. I also got some assignment work done this weekend and have a few more things to finish up early this week.
Not much else going on this weekend. I saw Danea for a few hours on Saturday. Poor thing wants to scrap so bad, but with her right hand all wrapped up can't do much in the way of scrapping just yet.
Sunday, August 06, 2006
Not much other than relaxing and scrapping this weekend. I decided to enter the Scenic Route DT contest....so I made my 3 layouts for that. I know I will not make the team but it was just great motivation to use some of the cool products I already had on hand.
So it's back to work in a few hours.....I am sure hoping this week is better than last!!!!
Saturday, August 05, 2006
Just playing around with freestyle again. I have so many of these queen and co. embellies with all the new ones on order....so I decided to play with them today.
Materials: Prism Cardstock, Queen and Co. Sequins, brads, ribbon slide, Autumn Leaves stamps, Prima flowers, Doodlebug letter stickers, Maya Road ribbon, CTMH white ink, and brilliance coral ink.
For this challenge I used pictures that were already printed and I had laying around for a LONG time. This is my oldest niece taken about 2 years ago. Thanks for the challenge Annie....I'm really happy for the motivation to use some of my "less than perfect" everyday pictures.
Tuesday, August 01, 2006
This is my first publication of my youngest niece. She is so much bigger now, but this is still one of my favorite pictures.
Thursday, July 27, 2006
This is a picture of me and my best friend from college taken about 2 years ago at her wedding shower. Materials: Prism cardstock, prima pp and flowers, foofala buttons, and BasicGrey ribbon. Even if she was a quickie it felt good to scrap again....I've got the itch. Tomorrow its back to my scrapbook magazine assignment.
Here is a layout I did a few months ago as part of my doodling article for issue 17 of the Scrapbook Magazine. This is Wendy and I just before we left for an all day class - her DH took the picture.
Tuesday, July 25, 2006
I have a DT deadline looming near and if this heat doesn't let up, I might end up cutting my ear off to get it done (because for sure I will be insane scrapping in this heat).
We did call 3 different companies about installing central air....the soonest we can get it done would be almost 4 weeks from now. So we are going to stick with our original house upgrade plan and have it installed this fall (they are taking advantage of the hot weather and increasing the prices significantly)
I promise not to whine so much on my next post!!!
Saturday, July 22, 2006
Thursday, July 20, 2006
1. I will be the newest member of the Fiber Scraps DT (starting August 1st). I am so excited about this opportunity and can't thank them enough for considering me. They have some very cool color combinations on their paper lines and I am really looking forward to working with them.
2. I finished my MMM contest entry (with paperwork) and have sent off to have pictures made of my pages. I plan to have the box sealed and in the mail by the weekend. While my experience is much different than last year, I am glad I decided to enter. In the end I enjoyed the process and I am quite happy with my entry. What's even better is that I really found a fondness for bright pages with multiple photos.
3. I got my next assignment for the Scrapbook Magazine (leave it to Natalie to pick a GREAT topic....a really hot trend) and another assignment for Papercraft essentials. Issue 17 of TSM which has my first article just hit the shelves this week. So I am excited to see this issue IRL.
With things the way they are at my day job.....it is so refreshing to get good news on the scrapbooking front. So I'm a happy camper for sure. Now I just need it to cool down a little so I could actually get in my scraproom and work.
Saturday, July 15, 2006
I finally got my hands of some of the new YUMMY Prima papers. OMG I LOVE them. They almost scrap themselves. LOVE LOVE LOVE. Look at those black rubons. That flower was so detailed and rubbed off so smooth and clean.
I am working on a special project and got stuck on my last layout. So I decided to take a quick break and play with my new papers. Papers, bloom, and rubons are all prima, Bazzill brad, and Heidi Swapp journaling spot and fuzzy rubon title.
Thursday, July 06, 2006
Wednesday, July 05, 2006
We had a nice relaxing long weekend. Jim's mom is in for a visit. She has been helping us in the yard as she has quite a green thumb. Yesterday we went to a little festival in town, ate some junk food, and then took a drive down the coast. We were home before dark so we just watched the fireworks on tv. Tomorrow Jim and I are taking off work and we will spend the day up in San Francisco....so that should be fun.
Scrapping wise I have been in a slump but still got a little done. I finally finished a layout (that I will post later) that has been sitting on my desk for about 10 days. That layout just had me stumped, and after essentially giving up, I slapped it together and called it done. After that page I started working on my next TSBM assignment. Thanks to some expert advice from Wendy (suggesting to use the cheapo cardstock from Michaels to cut flourishy monograms on the pazzles) I was able to finish my 2nd page and start on the 3rd. Thank you WENDY!!
That's about all for now. I hope everyone had a nice 4th!!