Tuesday, February 14, 2006

It's been a week already!

It's so hard to believe that one week ago today at this very time I was doing the last minute packing before the movers came. I don't know what on earth made me think that once we were in the new house things would calm down and we could work at our own pace. That is such a joke....it's actually more crazy now than before we moved. This time it's all a good craziness, and we are starting to see real progress.

I will admit that I have never been a very patient person. I am always the first in line for the new CHA releases...in general I just don't like waiting for anything. The attitude is following me with respect to all the upgrades we want to do on the new house. Before moving in Jim and I made a list of all the things we wanted to upgrade. Of course now that we are in the list has grown quite a bit. Originally we talked about doing the upgrades in many phases over the next 2 years. My problem is I don't want to wait. I want it all done now. I know this is just not possible either logistically or financially, but it doesn't stop me from wanting done now.

The great news is that after this weekend we will be done with phase I. This included painting the bedrooms, new carpet in the bedrooms, new baseboards in the bedrooms, replacing the nasty toilets, and putting a new roof on the entire house. Even better news is that our bonuses are a bit higher than we expected and will be paid in less than 2 weeks. So this allows us to start phase II right away. This will include a complete retrofit of the family room (tear down the wood paneling, replace sliding glass doors with French doors, replace the wetbar with a closet, add a fireplace mantel, add baseboards and crown molding, repaint, and recarpet) along with completely gutting and rebuilding all 3 bathrooms (the third bathroom is just a tiny 1/2 bath that will be fairly quick to do). I have spent the past few days looking at marble flooring, countertops, cabinets, and most importantly the whirlpool tub (yippie). So things are moving forward and we are already able to see the results.....that feels so good.

I am planning to take some pictures very soon and should be able to share a few before and after on the bedrooms next week.

No comments: